The Davidson College Art Department currently has the following opening available: Director and Curator Van Every/Smith Galleries
Each position listing should be read carefully for unique application requirements and deadlines. Applicants may want to become familiar with Davidson’s goals under its recently adopted Strategic Plan by linking to the following letter to prospective faculty or view the Strategic Plan in its entirety.
Should you have questions, please contact our Departmental Assistant Brenda King by phone (704/894-2344) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Thank you for your interest in Davidson College.
- Cort Savage, Professor and Chair of Art
Open Position Title: Director and Curator Van Every/Smith Galleries
Status: Full time plus benefits
Start date: Mid August 2012
Required education: Bachelors in Art History or Museum Studies or Studio Art.
Preferred education: Masters in Art History or Museum Studies.
Preferred experience: 5 years in non-profit gallery/museum/university gallery context.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2012
To learn more about the Art Department go to:
To apply on-line go to: https://jobs.davidson.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp? time=1336751303327
Davidson College seeks Director/Curator for the Van Every/Smith Galleries, the college’s primary visual arts exhibition venue. The Director/Curator of the Van Every/Smith Galleries provides leadership for the advancement of visual art at Davidson College by establishing the vision and implementing diverse and ambitious exhibitions, lectures, and outreach programs. The Gallery Director cultivates an environment committed to strengthening the size, scope, and prominence of the permanent art collection and visual art on the campus of Davidson College and in the wider community in keeping with Davidson College’s Strategic Plan.
Primary responsibilities include:
1. Curate, budget, design, install, and promote 7-9 diverse exhibitions of regional, national, and international scope as well as orientation and oversight of 5-13 undergraduate art major thesis exhibitions per academic year.
2. Actively assist the Office of Development efforts through an Art Collections Advisory Committee to identify individuals, foundations, and corporations for financial support and/or gifts of art.
3. Direct the overall vision for the continuing display, care, and collection of the 3200+ art objects in the permanent art collection.
4. Develop programs that facilitate access to the permanent art collection and create interdisciplinary opportunities for learning, teaching and outreach in keeping with Davidson College’s Strategic Plan.
5. Oversee production of gallery announcements/catalogs.
6. Manage part time Assistant Curator and gallery interns.
7. Manage the gallery budget.
Desired skill set would include:
1. 5+ years prior experience working in museum or gallery contexts including care and handling of precious objects.
2. Experience in donor relations and public relations.
3. Prior institutional experience in selecting, arranging exhibitions, and organizing opening receptions and lectures; development of publications and outreach.
4. Substantial knowledge of art history, contemporary art and trends, as well as art market valuations as it pertains to purchases, gifts, and insurance values for works in permanent collection.
5. Applicants must possess excellent writing and communication skills.
Davidson is a highly selective, independent, liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Charlotte, NC with 1,900 students and over 155 faculty members. Art History classes are limited to 33 students. Davidson is consistently regarded as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country. Learn more.